Old Navy is revolutionizing the shopping experience with the launch of BODEQUALITY. Beginning on August 20, Old Navy will redefine size inclusion, offering every one of its women’s styles, in every size, with no price difference.1As a brand committed to the democracy of style, Old Navy will be the first value retailer to offer sizes 0-30 and XS-4X for all women’s styles at price parity.2
With this launch, the brand is reimagining the shopping environment in all stores and online to be more size inclusive, giving women everywhere the fashion and experience that they deserve.
New Store & Online Experience
Old Navy is transforming its fleet of over 1,200 stores and online shops into fully size-integrated shopping experiences. Every store will offer all women’s styles in sizes 0-28 merchandised together – no special sections. Stores will also offer new inclusive visual cues for shoppers, including mannequins in sizes four, 12 and 18, alongside new BODEQUALITY marketing imagery. Old Navy associates will play an important role in the revamped store model, participating in extensive customer-focused training to create an environment where every shopper feels they belong.
Online, the brand is merging its Women’s and Women’s Plus collections from the navigation menu to provide one size-integrated shopping destination for sizes 00-30.3 Women’s styles will be showcased on models in sizes four, 12 and 18, and shoppers can use a new toggle feature to select their preferred default model display size.4
“We saw an opportunity to meaningfully change the women’s shopping experience by making it more inclusive regardless of size,” said Nancy Green, President and CEO of Old Navy. “BODEQUALITY is not a one-time campaign, but a full transformation of our business in service to our customers based on years of working closely with them to research their needs. I’m proud of the collaboration across our Old Navy teams to evolve the retail experience for women.”
Updated Fit & Design
With the launch of BODEQUALITY, Old Navy reinvented its fit process and size standards to create the brand’s most democratic, comfortable, and consistent size run and fit ever. After years of extensive research, customer consultation and design reviews, Old Navy is proud to offer shoppers clothing that is fit for confidence and feels good on each and every woman as they are, no matter the size. Steps the fashion retailer implemented into their women’s fit and design process include:
- Administered body scans of 389 women to create digital avatars based on real women’s bodies.
- Ran fit clinics with numerous models in sizes 20-28 to build new fit blocks based on their unique proportions, revamping the industry practice of scaling up from smaller sizes.
- Obsessed over every design detail – from pocket placement and their proportions, to denim waistband pitch and ankle tapers, to the body lengths of dresses, tops and outerwear – to ensure consistency in fit and aesthetic across styles and sizes.
- Partnered with full-time fit models in size eight and 20 to review every single style on both women side-by-side.
- Interviewed hundreds of women about body image and related fashion concerns.
“Developing BODEQUALITY allowed us to rethink the way we serve women in the retail industry,” said Alison Partridge Stickney, Head of Women’s and Maternity Merchandising at Old Navy. “We set out to understand what women of all sizes wanted from fashion and the shopping experience and were inspired to revolutionize every area of our business – from how we fit and design our products, to how we communicate to customers in stores and online – to ensure that all women feel welcome and represented. This launch is a transformative moment for our brand and the fashion industry.”
On August 20, Old Navy is launching a robust integrated marketing campaign to introduce BODEQUALITY to women everywhere including:
- The premiere of a new TV spot starring Emmy nominated Saturday Night Live and SHRILL actress and comedian Aidy Bryant alongside a diverse group of women dancing to “I Am 100%” by Jarina De Marco. Aidy and cast will bring the fashion revolution to life through the television placement and content extensions on Instagram and TikTok.
- An extensive out-of-home campaign with close to 500 placements in New York and Los Angeles through highly visual wildpostings, static and digital bulletins, on LinkNYC screens, in NYC subways, and on digital billboards in high-traffic areas including Times Square.
- An open letter from the brand to “women everywhere” announcing the inclusive and integrated shopping experience that will be featured on the Old Navy homepage, social channels and in digital ads.
Jeanel has 15 years of retail, marketing and brand management experience. She has started an ecommerce business in 2019, after working in corporate retail and real estate as a senior managing director and former consultant. She's traveled all over the world, speaks at world renowned trade shows and events, holds a Bachelor’s of Commerce (B.Comm) and a Certificate in Commercial Real Estate. You can connect with her on Linkedin.