Switchback is a health-focused brand born out of the desire to provide an easy, real, and delicious smoothie option that could be enjoyed anytime, anywhere. The founder, Ole Hovde, started the company to empower people to transform their health and nutrition while on the go. He set up a freeze dryer in his garage and began creating Switchback’s signature product – a produce powder made from real fruits and vegetables.
Launched on May 22, 2023, Switchback produce powders is an easy, real, and delicious smoothie mix that can be taken with you anytime, anywhere. The brand is committed to supporting its customers in taking small steps towards achieving their health and wellness goals. All products have been embraced by people of all ages, fueling various activities, from mountain climbing to desert trekking.
The brand offers a range of smoothie mixes, each packed with 3-5 cups of all-natural freeze-dried fruits and vegetables with no added sugar.The Switchback produce powder comes in three tantalizing flavors: Tropic Roar, Banana Berry Bite, and Jungle Mango. Each flavor is a unique blend of real fruits and vegetables, offering a nutritious and convenient way to maintain a healthy diet. The preparation is as simple as adding water, shaking, and drinking. It’s perfect for those with an active, on-the-go lifestyle.
“I wanted to create an easier way for people to get the nutrients they need,” said Ole Hovde, Founder of Switchback. “What started as a personal project to help myself and my family get healthier, quickly turned into a desire to help other Americans get the right amount of nutrients in their daily diets.”
- Tropic Roar is made with 3.5+ cups of real veggies & fruit, including mangos, bananas, pineapples, spinach, carrots, kale, and lemon.
- Jungle Mango is made with 4.6 cups of real veggies & fruit, including mangos, bananas, spinach, strawberries, kale, and lemon.
- Banana Berry Bite is made with 4.6 cups of real veggies & fruit, including bananas, strawberries, spinach, blackberries, kale, and beets.
“I am obsessed with Switchback smoothies – it’s so good! It’s now a part of my everyday living healthy routine, as someone who struggles to add fruits and vegetables to their daily diet, I finally have a solution,” said Jeanel Alvarado, Founder & CEO of RETAILBOSS. “Also, my favourite flavours are the Jungle Mango and Tropic Roar they are tied for first place!”
What is freeze-drying?
“I’d say it’s a cool process that will make your life easier,” said Ole Hovde. “Freeze drying is a food preservation technique that removes water from food by freezing it and then applying a vacuum. This process causes the water to sublimate, meaning that it goes directly from a solid state to a gas state, bypassing the liquid state. This leaves behind a dehydrated food that has a long shelf life and retains most of its original flavor, texture, and nutrients.”
The freeze-drying process takes place in three stages:
1. Freezing. The food is frozen to a very low temperature, typically -30° to -50°F (-34° to -45°C). This ensures that the water in the food is frozen solid and will not refreeze as the vacuum is applied.
2. Primary drying. A vacuum is applied to the frozen food. This causes the water in the food to sublimate or go directly from a solid state to a gas state. The vacuum helps to remove the water vapor from the food, preventing it from recondensing.
3. Secondary drying. The vacuum is maintained while the temperature of the food is gradually increased. This causes the remaining water vapor to sublimate, leaving behind dehydrated food.
The freeze-drying process is relatively slow, but it is a very effective way to preserve food (36 hours long in some cases!). Freeze-dried food can last for years without spoiling, even if it is not stored in a refrigerator or freezer… someone say smoothies on the go?
Here are some of the benefits of freeze drying
- Long shelf life: Freeze-dried food can last for years without spoiling.
- Retains nutrients: The freeze-drying process does not destroy nutrients, so freeze-dried food is a good way to get the nutrients you need from food.
- Retains flavor and texture: Freeze-drying does not significantly alter the flavor or texture of food. This makes it a good option for preserving delicate foods like fruits, vegetables, and meats.
- Convenient: Freeze-dried food is easy to store and transport. SWITCHBACK!
Switchback is a brand that promises to provide easy, real, and delicious nutrition. Their produce powders are a testament to their commitment to quality and convenience. Switchback is more than just a brand; it’s a movement towards healthier living, offering products that are as convenient as they are nutritious. Whether you’re trying to get into fighting shape, seeking a plant-based beverage to add to your routine, or looking for a snack that won’t slow you down, Switchback has got you covered.
Manufactured in the USA with US and globally sourced ingredients. For more information visit www.switchbackfoods.com.